What is SpyFu, What Does SpyFu do?
- SpyFu exposes the search marketing secret formula of your most successful competitors.
- Search for any domain and see every place they’ve shown up on Google: every keyword they’ve bought on Adwords, every organic rank, and every ad variation in the last 6 years.
- When you get a SpyFu membership, you can crack the codes of thousands of online companies that hold the time-tested secrets of making money.
- Having full access to SpyFu reveals your competitors’ trail of actions that paid off for them, their exact ad copy that drives leads, and an unrelenting, over-their-shoulder peek at blueprints of their most-guarded online advertising plans.
- Fast-track a PPC campaign using the very keywords and landing pages that make money, and steer clear of the dead ends so you don’t waste a dime.
As you already know, when you build your Adwords campaigns and construct your SEO strategy you need the best keyword tools you can find to maximise your efforts. But finding good, compelling keywords is not the end of the task. You need to know why your competitors are not using them, after all, they are probably using the same SEM and SEO tools as you. Possibly, even more importantly, what keywords are your competitors using and how much as they making from them.
- Using SpyFu tools you can take the top advertisers on a keyword from Domain Ad History and discover the rest of their shared terms in SpyFu Kombat. Then use Keyword SmartSearch to generate keyword lists built around your budget and competitive needs.
The full SpyFu toolset covers both US and UK markets and includes:
- SpyFu Kombat
- SpyFu Classic
- Keyword Ad History
- Domain Ad History
- Keyword Smart Search
- A Variety of Top 100 Lists
With SpyFu Kombat you can simultaneously inspect the keywords used for up to three websites which will then be compared for overlap. You will then be presented with an interactive chart (Venn diagram) showing the keyword overlap and a line graph tracking those keywords over time.
By mousing over the chart areas, each circle represents the corresponding websites keyword depth, you can see the keywords specific to that area of the chart:
- An area that doesn’t overlap indicates unique keywords to that website.
- An area with two sites overlapping indicates keyword shared by both those websites.
- An area with all three sites overlapping indicates keyword common to all sites.
The graph shows keywords for PPC Ads, Organic (SEO) keywords ranking and the PPC budgets.
To view the specific keyword lists and other data click on the respective link in the results area.
How to Use SpyFu Kombat
Objective: Find which keywords are unique to your website, which keywords you share with your competitors and what keywords your competitors are using.
Method: Enter your website address (domain) and two of your main competitors website addresses (domains) into the input boxes (any order).
Results: The non-overlapping areas indicate unique keywords. The area where your competitors overlap indicates keywords they are competing for. The area where all three are overlapping indicates keywords where all three of you are competing.
Conclusion: Are your unique keywords making you money? If not, why are you using them? Your competitors overlap is your biggest opportunity to pounce, these are the keywords making them the most profit. Check the graph for competitiveness and competitors spend in these areas.
Select the keywords you want from keyword list and export them directly to Adwords. Do the same for Organic (SEO) keywords. Continue to monitor the situation.
SpyFu Classic is simple the ultimate data gathering service. You enter a domain, URL or keyword into the search box, click the button and are presented with an wealth of data including:
- Daily Adwords (PPC) Ad Budget.
- Average Ad Position / # Advertisers.
- Paid vs. Organic Clicks Per Day.
- Total paid keywords with rank terms
- Total organic (SEO) keywords with rank terms.
- Top PPC Competitors with link to overlapping keywords and domain.
- Top Organic Competitors with link to overlapping keywords and domain.
- Sub domains listing for site analysis of niche keywords.
- Links through to SpyFu Kombat
- … lots and lots more …
In addition to searching for domain and URL data, SpyFu Classic also let’s you search for keyword data. The example below is a search on “dog food”:
Once again you are presented with a wealth of information, including:
- Analysis of monthly searches.
- Analysis of cost per click.
- Analysis of daily costs.
- Profitable related keyword list.
- The most successful advertisers and their best ads.
- Ad history, estimated PPC, number of clicks, cost per day, total advertisers.
- Trend data for most statistics.
- … and much more …
The data analysis capabilities of SpyFu just keep going on. The Keyword Ad History, Domain Ad History, Keyword Smart Search and the various Top 100 Lists such as the, Top 100 SEM Spenders and Top 100 Adwords Buyers will probably overwhelm you at first.
SpyFu Feature List
Spufu has a plethora of features available. Features such as, unlimited domain, keyword, organic and paid searches. 9+ years of organic and Adwords ranking history. In-depth SEO, PPC, Adword reports and more.
SpyFu also offer many of their tools for free, but unlimited data and their most powerful features are reserved for subscribers (what do you expect?).
There’s good news on the subscription front as well, if you subscribe to a SpyFu annual plan you can save over 45%. If you’re not happy with what you see, don’t worry, SpyFu is Risk Free. All plans include a 30 day money back guarantee.
SpyFu state, “If for any reason SpyFu doesn’t live up to your expectations, or maybe you just want to keep your money — really, it doesn’t matter why — just let us know at any time in the first 30 days. No forms to fill out. No questions to answer. No hoops to jump through. Cancel Anytime Via Email, Livechat, or Phone. We make cancelling easy. No contracts. No questions. No fine print. No forms to fill out. You can also cancel on your MyAccount page, Facebook, even Twitter.“
SpyFu Video Tutorials
You like data? They’ve got data. You like charts? They’ve got the charts. Learn where to find, and how to use SpyFu’s different reports, how to add custom keywords, internet marketing for new websites and much more with their free video tutorials.
SpyFu Search Marketing Top Lists
SpyFu Review Final Thoughts
SpyFu is definitely one of those SEO competitive research tools you want in your toolbox. I find their tools fantastic for competitive research and the data presented for keyword research is precise and concise, just what you want. SpyFu makes its way into my toolbox on just about every project. The only downside to SpyFu is the fees for their monthly plans, starting at $79 for US and $99 for both US/UK this might seem pretty costly until you realise the amount of funds you could save on just one PPC campaign (you do get the usual 30 day money back guarantee in case you change your mind).
Well, I hope you found something useful and enjoyed this SpyFu Review. If you need an alternative solutions you could try one of these SEO Tools for Keyword Research.